Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Beware of what you want...you might just get it!

Once there was a man who was according to God, “a man after my own heart.” (Acts 13:22)

This man was David and from the time David was young, God blessed him.

But despite all that David had been blessed with he still wanted more.  In 2nd Samuel 11 and 12 we read how David saw the beautiful wife of another and seemingly without pause proceeded to break the 6th, 7th and 10th commandments and as you read the account you will see that the sins just kept mounting.

Had David, the man after God’s heart, just asked himself, “If I act on this desire will I be pleasing God or myself?” things would have gone much differently.

Whenever we face difficult choices we should each ask ourselves this very question or some variant of it such as, “Will my choice draw me closer to God?”

Now comes the time for confession:

I must confess my own bad choice.  I let my own passion and my own allowing myself to not be content rule me.

Instead of asking the question above, I went with my passion.

Fortunately acting on my passion didn’t have anything to do with breaking any commandments.

My passion is for Wyoming, for the mountains, for the outdoors and camping.

I had been in Wyoming just 3 weeks prior but not camping. 

I saw the forecast of sunny day after sunny day.

I thought of cool brisk nights, a campfire and camp fare, the aspens aglow and the soaring Tetons.

At home I had a 2 week old Sunday School class (not one I teach) and 2 new blogs…God was blessing me but I didn’t want to ask the question, I wanted to act on my passion so I went.

Yes, the forecast was right, the aspens and Tetons are glorious, but there has been a hollowness for me as I knew I should have stayed home and been thrilled with what God was blessing me with.

So that is why I am writing this now instead of being able to enjoy the moment  as the sun is about to wake up the mountains, so that you will ask yourself, “Will my choice draw me closer to God?”

Once you are aware of this question and if you care about the answer, your walk with God will be a much smoother one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment